Tuesday 6 November 2012

medication for Fibromyalgia

Today 6/11/12

I talked to my consultant at the hospital today about my pain relief, I was attending my acupuncture treatment and stated to her that my painkiller were not helping and hadn't been for a while, I'm on Gabapentin 300mg 2x3 times daily( =600mg each time) . My husband has done alot of reading up and has talked to my GP before about a painkiller used to treat Fibromyalgia which is called Pregabalin, but my doctor just said that one painkiller is as good as another and they tend to just give one or the other.

Anyway my hospital consultant at the pain clinic has informed us that Pregabalin isn't really recognised in the UK and that its more researched and given in USA ,so doctors in the UK tend to give Gabapentin, even although Pregabalin is the only medication that states specifically for use of sufferers of Fibromyalgia

She has suggested that i start to gradually reduce my present painkillers then talk to my GP about being started on Pregabalin when i see him next week. So i have today began to reduce my Gabapentin. I plan to do this by reducing by one tablet every second day . I'm a little wary of the side effects that i may get but i feel also that its pointless taken medication that isn't helping me , especially such high doses .

I wanted to note this entry in my blog for anyone else who may also be on Gabapentin and find they are not working for them . I'll update this entry at the end of the week regarding any side effects i may or may not have .

Kira x

UPDATE DAY 1

I decided to record on a daily basis instead of at the end of the week . So day one I can't get an appointment to see my doctor for 2 weeks so will reduce my medication every 3rd day , forgot to mention that my husband looks after that side of things for me as i forget if i have taken my tabs and have on occasional
 taken them twice with really bad effects .

So day one i am taking 5 tabs today, woke up feeling foggy in my head and a tight band like feeling, my body also feels very sensitive , getting sharp pains in my arms and legs and feelings like a tight elastic band throughout. This could be psychological but  will not disregard as 'real' .

Update day 2

I feel good today , much better than yesterday . Was planning to go out for a little while but haven't as I can't face it . I've not been out in such a long time except for my hospital visits or to the nurse at my local surgery . Plan to reduce my tabs to 4 tomorrow .

UPDATE day 4

Pain all over , feeling really ill, nauseous and faint. I need to upt my medication again and get back to the level  i was at before I decided to try to come off Gabapentin .

2 comments:

  1. Good luck coming off the Gabapentin, it makes sense not to carry on taking it if it's not working anymore. Doctors need to research new drugs for patients needs, and not to keep them on the same one's out of habit. Sue. X

    ReplyDelete